Janey-Jones

Organise to take some homeless persons out for a day

Recommended Posts

Sponsor

I thought this a good idea because of Outdoor Muckers mission to help the homeless. Plus I think its a nice thing to do.  I think it should be possible for a few of us who live near to each other to contact a local homeless cafe or outreach to see if they know of a few homeless persons who might appreciate a day trip out, to be amongst people who care about them. And we make sure to sort all the food etc and take them somewhere lovely so we can all just walk and talk. 

Its a bit of a long shot idea but its do-able and it might open our eyes to the struggles they face. Who knows what this could lead to?  I dont mean any of this to sound sefl fulfillng or patronising in any way. I just think that maybe some of us would like to help out a little bit more.

I think we could organise that 2 of us in one car takes 1 homeless person.   im treading on egg shells here i know that sorry, but if any of you can help refine the idea then thats brill.

Edited by Janey-Jones
  • Upvote 2

I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

This is such a lovely idea.   Granted it has to be done tactfully and with a sincere heart. Also the homeless are real people and so deserve the same respect as any of us. I think this could be great to do. But imagine how you would feel after being in the company of homeless person then dropping them back off into the despair again? This is not a negative by any means.  This is food for thought and well worth thinking about.  Thanks for posting this. @Janey-Jones

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure this could be one of our organised projects 

it should be possible for us to have volunteers who can oversee and be in charge of day trips out.  Until we one day have our own transport mini buses could be hired 

I shall look into this in more detail as there would need to be proper insurances and maybe other things if the homeless people are considered to be vulnerable persons for example

Any more ideas welcomed 

  • Upvote 1

Life's just about one story after another until all becomes ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
On 14/06/2016 at 01:39, Kar3n2 said:

This is such a lovely idea.   Granted it has to be done tactfully and with a sincere heart. Also the homeless are real people and so deserve the same respect as any of us. I think this could be great to do. But imagine how you would feel after being in the company of homeless person then dropping them back off into the despair again? This is not a negative by any means.  This is food for thought and well worth thinking about.  Thanks for posting this. @Janey-Jones

 

Yes it will be very hard to know you are simply dropping them back off to the streets or some place where they are very unhappy.

there has to be a way though.  Its not like this idea should be forgotton just because we will find it hard to leave them again else they will never get a nice day trip out will they?

  • Upvote 1

I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we are in a position to own mini buses we can hire.

Ths idea would be wonderful for families housed up in bed and breakfasts or hostel accommodation. The children get very little opportunity for some lovely days out. Defintely one to work on this year.

  • Upvote 1

Life's just about one story after another until all becomes ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
35 minutes ago, Karen said:

Until we are in a position to own mini buses we can hire.

Ths idea would be wonderful for families housed up in bed and breakfasts or hostel accommodation. The children get very little opportunity for some lovely days out. Defintely one to work on this year.

I mentioned this is another thread so its a bit more focussed hope thats ok

 

  • Upvote 2

do I really need to go outside?   Ok I'll cope O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbie M said:

I mentioned this is another thread so its a bit more focussed hope thats ok

 

yes thanks @Robbie M its better to keep the threads focussed good idea


Life's just about one story after another until all becomes ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
1 hour ago, Karen said:

yes thanks @Robbie M its better to keep the threads focussed good idea

Yes this is more just about day out and I do realize that its best its done properly with hired minibus. I presume there are still plenty challenges because a homeless person is likely to be very tired and just needs a darn good meal rather a picnic on a beach or woodland somewhere.

We want to do good but its not always so simple is it? 

  • Upvote 1

I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2017 at 16:12, Janey-Jones said:

Yes this is more just about day out and I do realize that its best its done properly with hired minibus. I presume there are still plenty challenges because a homeless person is likely to be very tired and just needs a darn good meal rather a picnic on a beach or woodland somewhere.

We want to do good but its not always so simple is it? 

yes thats the trick. The day should REVOLVE around the food and nature as its good for phyical and mental health. But as we are a listening ear it is best we have some contact information for various services that can help a person. So always prepare for that too.

A beach BBQ is still a good idea... as are picnics anywhere that is in some lovely place, connected with nature so thats it's a calming spiritual experience too. As long as there is some structure and SAFETY for all persons being of paramount importance.

Nature doesn't choose her friends... and she obliges everyone with her beauty and peace. Even if she can be a bit wild n windy on the day!! ( that's a major HINT that we should take all different types of clothing and protection) and of course that mean doubling up ( or more) as a homeless person more than likely will have none of the essential things.

As you know we as Outdoor Muckers advocate for nature as healing, so any days out would certainly involve being close to nature. ( we would'nt for example provide a day out at ten pin bowling alley with burger n chips NOPE!!!!)

And of course the most important part is they are around nice friends and good listeners. Its extremely important for a person to feel that somebody actually cares to listen to them


Life's just about one story after another until all becomes ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites