Anon anaon

Shared Housing is NOT the answer

Sponsor

I know I should’ve been grateful to have been given a roof over my head and a potential to make something out of myself but in all honesty living under the same roof with and having to share facilities with people whose lives are still chaotic really can push you over the edge quite easily.

Imagine you’re trying to get some much needed sleep when the others in the house think the night-time is for inviting all and sundry round to sleep on the floors and to take their drugs. Imagine going down to the kitchen to make a brew or a bite to eat only to find every scrap of food and your milk has been taken. Imagine trying to make your way through the needles that these unwanted guests have left behind. Imagine having to step over bodies sprawled over the floors. Imagine going to the bathroom only to find it disgusting where people have missed the loo because they are “off their heads”.  Imagine as YOU are trying your best to stay clean, with all the drugs and alcohol around. 

IMAGINE being sanctioned because you were so distressed and exhausted that you never woke up in time or couldn’t even find the energy to get up and get out to that appointment.

IMAGINE being told you need to take a low paid job even though you are still suffering from overwhelming anxieties and also living in a house offering NO peace or rest.

You haven’t got a cat in hell’s chance believe me.  I know I’ve been there 3 times now and I’m back on the streets where at least I can find some place to hide and get some sleep.

And I am better of begging to pay for a room in a bed and breakfast on nights when it’s extreme bad weather. YES begging!!!!

I don’t know of any charities that have got it right yet. Maybe they’re underfunded but I don’t see why when they charge the befits system £200 per week for a measly single room, calling it supported living, when in reality once you are sanctioned and they stop your rent too, the charity thinks nothing of putting you back onto the streets again anyway.

Shared housing is NOT THE ANSWER.

People at least need to be given self contained spaces with safe lockable doors and their own utilities. You can put an ensuite in the smallest of spaces. Everyone values PRIVACY.  I am not alone in my thinking so please please somehow help us by doing the right thing and giving us a real chance to get our lives back on track again

• Like 1

I don't blow bubbles that often but when I do they're BIG ones

Sponsor

You're right having people bundled together is not the answer at all. Each has their own challenges to overcome and it doesn't help anybody to be around people who as you say whose lives are chaotic and still using drugs or alcohol. Its like lighting the fuse and things are going to explode very soon.

There is ways for people to get money without the need to beg though. The big issue comes to mind and a person only needs to sell so many to pay for a private rented place even if its not a permanent place at first. Rooms in some small bnbs can be as little as £18 pn  so selling 20 mags that day pays for the room and leaves some spends too.  The danger is spending all the money and not leaving some aside to do year end taxes.  Done forget the big issue sellers are in effect self employed and so need to do like any other small business else they will get into trouble.

you should never forget to say thank-you

Sponsor

I do think the Big Issue is good to help people to help themselves. And they do give support as a self employed person you have to keep proper records and do your taxes like anybody else at the end of year too.

I don't blow bubbles that often but when I do they're BIG ones

Featured BIZ

the anwser is a place where people can enlist to do training at same time as being given a temporary roof over the head. This way they have to be participating in their own future lives and getting back onto their feet getting job ready and then acceptable by a social landlord as tenant already in employment

depressed-3.jpg.0b098f4be09556c9a9821a7654a53985.jpg