Janey-Jones

Allotments for homeless person to be a part of

Sponsor

I am wondering if homeless persons would benefit from some worthwhile activity in an allotment in exchange for a lovely meal in return from the produce.

Of course its not all year that the food is ready to pick and eat but I think if well managed there could be some sort of rotational thing going on. Maybe there are some chickens on there too? 

I think maybe Im talking about a small holding rather than an allotment then possibly as an allotment wouldnt be quite so secure and subject to vanadalism too easily.  But its something to think about eh?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air..

Sponsor
19 minutes ago, Janey-Jones said:

I am wondering if homeless persons would benefit from some worthwhile activity in an allotment in exchange for a lovely meal in return from the produce.

Of course its not all year that the food is ready to pick and eat but I think if well managed there could be some sort of rotational thing going on. Maybe there are some chickens on there too? 

I think maybe Im talking about a small holding rather than an allotment then possibly as an allotment wouldnt be quite so secure and subject to vanadalism too easily.  But its something to think about eh?

Yeah great idea but I also think it would best be a small holdingas you mention in a more secure place because recently the allotments not far from us were all ransacked and trashed by thugs vandals and thats because nobody was there at late hours so they had a field day pardon the pun. Evil mindlessness but it would be awful to see this happen after so much dedication

• Upvote 1

After we have given to projects that are direct hand-ups for homeless persons to help themslelves out of the poverty traps, our year end profits will be used to invest into small holdings to be used exactly as you mention, providing a place to do volunteer work on the land or in the food production areas.  Volunteering however should only be short term to get some some experience. 

This may mean we can open to the public to serve meals so there will be very much to help our homeless friends with plenty to get involved in and do some realtime training too.

Volunteering isn't always the best option. Would you work all day just to get some food?  It is Training courses that need to be provided with a worthwhile qualification leading to a job at the end of it. This will be our approach on any small holdings we acquire.

• Like 1

Life's just about one story after another until all becomes ONE.

Sponsor
2 hours ago, RaquelGomes said:

Yeah great idea but I also think it would best be a small holdingas you mention in a more secure place because recently the allotments not far from us were all ransacked and trashed by thugs vandals and thats because nobody was there at late hours so they had a field day pardon the pun. Evil mindlessness but it would be awful to see this happen after so much dedication

They have been ruined here not for from us too.  And these ones were kept lovely by elderly persons who have all but given up now  expect.  Imagine its heartbreaking to know youve put all that effort in to grow some lovely veggies and flowers and they are all detsroyed over night

Small holdings would definitely be the best way to go PLUS you could have some temporary accommodation on them like lovely caravans for those who are volunteering or working there. Great idea

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sponsor

any allotment produce is only as good as the way the food and the land is cultivated.  ive even seen people spraying them... sad isnt it?

Homeless persons on an allotment. Whilst it all seems very good you cant forget how exhausted most homeless persons are. I'm not saying don't extend an invitation as there might be some takers just for something to do. But unless there is a real outcome like some proper skills learning and achievements then I'm not sure many would stick around for any length of time. I know I wouldn't.  Sorry about that!

Edited by SoulMan

You're RIGHT so don't let anybody tell you otherwise!